OpenID is a popular single sign-on technology that allows access to all company web-resources with the same credentials. In iSpring Learn, OpenID Connect protocol works with the Okta identity provider - an authorization server that authenticates users and transmits info about a successful authorization to LMS.
Authorization with OpenID and Okta works in the mobile application.
Okta Authorization Server Configuration
- Log in to your Okta account and open the Applications section in the top menu.
- Then, start editing the application.
In case you haven’t created an application yet, add it now.
1. In the Applications section, click the Add Application button.
2. At the second step, select Web and click Next.
3. After that, start configuring the application. Add Base URIs and Login redirect URIs — these can be taken from your iSpring Learn account. Also, in the Grant type allowed section, check Refresh Token and Implicit (Hybrid). Finally, click Done.
- Then, scroll down to the bottom of the page — here you can copy Client Id and Client secret.
Add Return Url — the web-page address where a non-authenticated user will be redirected.
Configuring iSpring Learn
Log in to your iSpring Learn account. Then go to the SSO Settings and click OpenID.
Fill out the fields of the form.
Automatically add new users via OpenID Check this option to enable non-registered users to get added to iSpring Learn when attempting to login. Response Type The response type which is issued by the authorization server. Return Url The web-address of the page where non-authenticated users are redirected to. Issuer The security token issuer. This value can be retrieved on the authorization server — it is the URL of your Okta account. Client Id The client identifier which can be copied on the authorization server. Client Secret This parameter is used to authenticate the application when it is asking to get access to a user’s account. It’s created on the authorization server.
If needed, match fields in iSpring Learn and your SSO service.
- Then, add link to the corporate site in the Quick Links section.
Adding Users to iSpring Learn
Even if users are not present in the iSpring Learn database yet, they will be automatically added to the users list. The only thing that can prevent a new user from adding can be your subscription plan limitation.
To create users when signing in with OpenID, we use the following parameters received from the authorization server:
Profile Field in iSpring Learn
Authorization without OpenID
If you have enabled OpenID in your iSpring Learn account and for some reasons can't login using single sign-on, type the following web address: https://yourcompany.ispringlearn.com/login?no_sso.
Now you will sign in with the account as usual, using your login and password.